Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Warrior Heir

Summary
Before he knew about the Roses, 16-year-old Jack lived an unremarkable life in the small Ohio town of Trinity. Only the medicine he has to take daily and the thick scar above his heart set him apart from the other high-schoolers. Then one day Jack skips his medicine. Suddenly, he is stronger, fiercer, and more confident than ever before. And it feels great-until he loses control of his own strength and nearly kills another player during soccer team tryouts.
Soon, Jack learns the startling truth about himself: He is Weirlind; part of an underground society of magical people who live among us. At the head of this magical society sit the feuding houses of the Red Rose and the White Rose, whose power is determined by playing The Game-a magical tournament in which each house sponsors a warrior to fight to the death. The winning house rules the Weir.

As if his bizarre magical heritage isn't enough, Jack finds out that he's not just another member of Weirlind — he's one of the last of the warriors — at a time when both houses are scouting for a player.

Afterthoughts
This is the second series I have read by Williams and it was quite different than I had expected. Instead of a story set in a fantastic, magical world, I got a story set in boring old reality.
Or, at least, that was what I thought.
Williams creates the kind of story many people hope to find themselves in: a normal person who discovers he has extraordinary powers and has been destined for greatness since he was a baby. Sign me up.
And, though the story is a bit cliche (I guessed the biggest plot twist less than halfway into the book), the characters and blend of reality and fantasy made it worth the read. I love books that create worlds that could (somewhat) believably fit into reality (Harry Potter, anyone?) and this was one of those books. Williams takes well-known history, such as the War of the Roses, and gives it a magical twist, which is quite intriguing.
So, if you're between books and don't know what to read, you might give "The Warrior Heir" a try.

Warnings
None.

Extras
Read the first chapter of "The Warrior Heir," or...
Read the first chapter of the sequel, "The Wizard Heir."

8 comments:

  1. This sounds very interesting! I also love when authors provide a blend of reality and fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Instead of a story set in a fantastic, magical world, I got a story set in boring old reality." I usually prefer stories that take place in reality, so this might actually be a good book for me :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this in high school! I really liked it then [especially since the main character was a soccer-playing kid], and your review does it justice. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds good! You're good at writing reviews and making me want to read everything you suggest :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i appreciate the way you give a little overview at the beginning of each post then go on to give your supporting reasons why people should read it. Good organization!

    Also, this book does sound interesting, is it a series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) It is a series and there are four other books after this one. I've only read this one though, I'm waiting for summer break for the rest!

      Delete
  6. I like the "Extras" section of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love fantasy books that could believably be part of reality (especially the Harry Potter series!)

    ReplyDelete