Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Blackface Stallion

Summary
Blackface is a young mustang born to a dominant stallion and a golden palomino mare who was stranded in the desert when her transporter died in an accident. This book chronicles Blackface's life growing up in the desert. As a foal, he causes a lot of mischief. By the time he is a few years old, he and his pinto playmate are kicked out of the herd, and must learn to survive in the harsh environment own their own. Eventually, Blackface and the pinto steal fillies and create a herd of their own. But how long can they survive without their father's choice feeding grounds, which leaves them with no option but to encroach on man's land?

Afterthoughts

"Blackface Stallion" is one of a small number of books that found me. To this day, I can't remember why I picked it up or how I even discovered it. It's now out of print, has never won any awards and no one has ever heard of it.
Yet, as a child, I read it at least 10 times.
Granted, I was certified horse freak when I was a kid and still love everything about them (trail ride, anyone?), but this book captured my interest and imagination in a profound way.
The story reads almost like a biography. Without any dialogue. Or people. So... it's basically a horse's biography. Is that weird?
"Blackface Stallion" is a realistic, straight-forward story of the hardships and peculiarities in the life of a wild Mustang in Mexico. From 'horse politics' to the consequences of humanity's intrusion into the land the horses have roamed since they first escaped from early explorers, this book provides a short, blunt look into the realities of living on the range.
Now, I know this book probably has a small fan club and will never be popular, but I couldn't review books without including one that I consider a classic. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it could surprise you. Do with it what you will.

Warnings

Circle-of-life violence and death. Think of it like a documentary.

Extras

A PBS documentary that follows the life of real Mustang named Cloud.

7 comments:

  1. I really like that you shared one of your favorite books, even if it isn't a popular book.

    I found the book on Amazon, it's available for $0.15 if anyone is interested. http://www.amazon.com/Blackface-Stallion-Helen-Griffiths/dp/082340420X

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first, I wasn't sure if I'd be interested in this. But your humor and clarity of description make me want to read it now! "Horse politics", so clever...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes the best books are the unknown ones (same goes for music and movies). And sometimes these works aren't popular for a reason. Blackface Stallion sounds pretty unusual, but the fact that it made it into your list of favorites definitely means something. I looked it up on Goodreads, and it has 4.5 out of 5 stars.. but apparently only 9 people have read it. Still, it has a high rating for a reason. Thanks for bringing this book to light!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll go on the trail ride with you :) I grew up loving books like this too, like Black Beauty (even though it was depressing), Big Red, and a couple of others. I read a lot of horse books back in the day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for giving us a glimpse into your childhood emily! it sounds fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice description calling it a horse's biography. I once tried reading "My Friend Flicka" but couldn't get passed the first chapter because he spent like a whole page describing the meadow grass and I didn't care! At least that's my impression. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a great book! I loved reading books like it as a kid (and still do!)

    ReplyDelete