Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Light of Eidon

Summary
Abramm Kalladorne has dedicated the last eight years of his life to becoming worthy to touch and tend the Sacred Flames of Eidon, and he expects to be blessed for his devotion and sacrifice.
But on the eve of taking the vows that will irrevocably separate him from the life he was born to — as fifth son of the king of Kiriath — he is betrayed by his spiritual mentor and sold into slavery by his brothers.
Swept along by the winds of a new destiny, Abramm is forced to compete in the gladiatorial games of his new masters. When the oppressed masses rally around his successes, he discovers his suffering has molded him into something greater than he ever thought possible — to serve a purpose he never imagined.

Afterthoughts
"Light of Eidon" is one of many books that I got free on Kindle (yay for free books!) and one of the few that I liked enough to buy the rest of the books in the series. Much like the Chronicles of Narnia books, "Light of Eidon" is rife with Christian symbolism. But, unlike many Christian books, it isn't shoved down your throat. Instead, Hancock presents the symbolism in beautiful and powerful characters and circumstances that parallel the Christian faith.
Abramm was an interesting character to meet, mostly because he starts as such a coward. It was one of those, "Wow, do I really have to read a whole book about this guy?" moments. This feeling quickly transformed to admiration and respect as I watched Abramm grow from a boy who was determined to run from his problems to a man who acknowledged his part in the bigger picture.
Abramm's journey, along with the many characters he meets throughout it, form a gripping and touching story that provoked deep thinking about my faith and the reasons behind what I believe. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book (like, 4 or 5 times) and highly recommend it and the three books that follow it. So... go read!

Warnings
Mild violence.

Extras
"Light of Eidon" is still free on Amazon! Get it here!
Read Karen's blog.

8 comments:

  1. As I was reading the summary, I thought, "Oh, sounds like Joseph!" I am going to check these out, the series sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may see if this is free on Nook, too, and download it if it is. Probably not something I'd buy, but I'd read it once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Colleen, I was also thinking that the summary sounded a lot like the story of Joseph! Thanks for the recommendation and the link to the free copy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds interesting - probably not something I would typically read, but I might just give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a fascinating read! Especially if it's free :) I think it's interesting that you went from not really liking the character at the beginning to liking him in the end. I guess that shows good character development!

    ReplyDelete
  6. how do you get free books on kindle? I don't have one, but am thinking about getting one. . . are there lots of free features? and if so are they quality books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a Kindle app that you can get for free and access online. You don't even have to have a Kindle! If you go to the Best Sellers page on the Kindle book section of Amazon, there's a list of the top 100 free books. That's where I've found quite a few worthwhile freebies. Most are crap, but occasionally I find a good one. It's kind of a 'hit-or-miss' type thing. :)

      Delete
  7. I love Amazon's free kindle books! They really can be hit or miss, but I've had some decent luck.

    ReplyDelete