Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Ender's Shadow

Summary
Welcome to Battleschool. 
Growing up is never easy. But try living on the mean streets as a child begging for food and fighting like a dog with ruthless gangs of starving kids who wouldn't hesitate to pound your skull into pulp for a scrap of apple. If Bean has learned anything on the streets, it's how to survive. And not with fists. He is way too small for that. But with brains.
Bean is a genius with a magician's ability to zero in on his enemy and exploit his weakness.
What better quality for a future general to lead the Earth in a final climactic battle against a hostile alien race, known as Buggers. At Battleschool Bean meets and befriends another future commander - Ender Wiggins - perhaps his only true rival.
Only one problem: for Bean and Ender, the future is now.

Afterthoughts
As soon as I learned Orson Scott Card had written a companion book for “Ender’s Game,” I was out of my mind with excitement. And when I learned that the book focused on Bean? Let’s just say I couldn’t get my hands on that book fast enough.
Bean was my favorite character in “Ender’s Game” and, after reading “Ender’s Shadow,” became my favorite character in the “Ender’s Game” universe. I loved watching the story unfold through Bean’s eyes. In fact, while reading the original book, it was an idea I had thought of and hoped for until I learned Card was already miles ahead of me.
Re-watching and re-reading has never been an issue for me and I didn’t find the story to be stale, even though I knew the outcome from the original book. To see Ender from the perspective of genius, boy-wonder Bean and to watch Bean struggle with Ender’s attitude toward him while knowing the reasons behind it was fantastic.
And, for those worried that the entire book is simply the same story from a different POV, Card gives us both a backstory and an epilogue for little Bean. And it will come as a complete surprise, I can almost guarantee it.

The story was as well-written as “Ender’s Game” and returns many beloved characters while also introducing several new ones. I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoyed "Ender's Game" — and to anyone who has the ability to read. It's a good one.

Warnings
Some mild language and violence.

Extras
Click here for access to the first chapter and more info from Card's site.
Card developed this book into another series, continuing in Shadow of the Hegemon.

9 comments:

  1. Would you recommend starting with "Ender's Game" before reading this one? Or could they be read in reverse?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you could probably read them in reverse, but it wouldn't make as much sense or be as satisfying, in my opinion. I would suggest starting with "Ender's Game." :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw the title of this, I though it sounded familiar. I have not read any of the Ender's Game series, but at least this book sounds like a entertaining but fast read. May have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not typically a fan of the "hostile-alien-race-comes-to-overthrow-earth" kind of books, but your enthusiasm for this novel as well as its predecessor might make me change my mind... maybe. Either way, fantastic job with this post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like how you started your post with a short sentence. Also, like Becca, your enthusiasm makes me want to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read this series yet, but I've heard really good things about it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoyed "Ender's Game" — and to anyone who has the ability to read." love it! Curious, are these books you read during the school year? If so, share me your secret of finding time for fun reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually read most of these books during the summer or on breaks. I tend to compile a huge list of 'to-reads' during the school year and try to work through it on breaks. I wish I had time to read during the school year!

      Delete
  8. I've heard some really good things about that series! Great review - I'll have to add this book to my to-read!

    ReplyDelete