Friday, February 14, 2014

Graceling

Summary
Katsa has been able to kill a man with her bare hands since she was eight — she's a Graceling, one of the rare people in her land born with an extreme skill.
As niece of the king, she should be able to live a life of privilege, but Graced as she is with killing, she is forced to work as the king's thug. When she first meets Prince Po, Graced with combat skills, Katsa has no hint of how her life is about to change. She never expects to become Po's friend. She never expects to learn a new truth about her own Grace — or about a terrible secret that lies hidden far away... a secret that could destroy all seven kingdoms with words alone.

Afterthoughts
I can't remember why I picked this book, though it was highly recommended by my roommate after she saw I had it, but I was quite thrilled with it. Katsa's character had an interesting mix of self-loathing, a fierce loyalty to those she called her own and a tenderness that was rarely seen. I enjoyed journeying with her to self-discovery, especially since it was a discovery that had been previously misunderstood.
One of my favorite things about this book was the slow build-up to a full explanation of a Graceling. Since it's the book's title, I knew it was important, but I was frustrated when I didn't get a full explanation immediately. The term is used frequently, but opens this unique aspect of the story's world to the reader in increments. Not only was this an interesting tool for setting the story's pace, but it kept me enthralled. There was no way I was going to put that book down!
The supporting characters were well-developed and added elements to the story that Katsa, as the narrator, was unable to provide. This was especially strong in Po's character. He provided a perfect balance for Katsa's stony refusal to feel emotion and (though his name constantly made me think of "Kung Fu Panda") he quickly became one of my favorite's.

Warnings
A alluded-to sexual encounter, nothing explicit but still mentioned; mild violence.

Extras
Kristin Cashore has proved to be one of those really likable authors and has provided the first two chapters on her website! Check them out!

Take a look at Kristin's blog.

6 comments:

  1. Great blog idea, and great way to structure your information! Having read this book a few years back, I thought you did a nice job of laying out all the need-to-know info without giving away the story. I look forward to your future book picks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of this book before. In the book do they use the play on the word Grace a lot like you did? When you first wrote "Graced," I thought you had misspelled Graceling. Haha.

    I agree with Colleen that I like how you presented the info. In easy-to-read chunks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an interesting read! Great job laying out the info for us. I really like the way you categorize your posts - it's easy to understand and let's the reader know what to expect. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Becca, good headings. Also, thank you for not giving away the entire plot in the book your summary in case we want to read it later. Lauren can add this to her 40 book goal maybe :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like how you presented your information! It was easy to read and understand. I'm looking forward to seeing what other books you review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of this, but I want to read it now! It sounds good!

    ReplyDelete